Active Ingredient: Jujubes
What are Jujubes?
Jujubes (Zizyphus Jujuba), also known as red dates, are the fruit a small deciduous shrub widely distributed throughout Southern Asia. They have long been treasured in tradition Chinese medicine for the alleviation of insomnia, stress, anxiety and as a general health tonic.
What are some of the benefits of Jujube dates?
Jujubes are low in calories, high in fibre and are known to be a valuable source of vital nutrients. In addition, recent studies have shown them to be rich in biologically active phytochemicals such as polyphenols flavonoids and alkaloids which may be beneficial in health and disease (see below).
Other important biologically active compounds found in Jujubes include:
- Vitamins: Jujube have 20 times more vitamin C than citrus fruits and are rich in vitamin B.
- Minerals: Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium.
Potential benefits of Jujube:
- Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which help reverse free-radical induced damage in many organs including the liver.
- Immunomodulatory and immune-boosting effects important in combating chronic disease and cancer prevention.
- Antimicrobial and antifungal properties independent of its action on the immune system.
- Improved digestion due to its high fibre content and prevention of stomach and intestinal ulcers.
- Improved cognitive function.
Jujube dates are also great at providing a quick energy boost and have long been used to improve the quality of sleep and reduce stress and anxiety.
Who we made this treat for:
Aging dogs and Breeds with a predisposition to hypothyroidism can benefit greatly from jujube dates’ qualities. These can include Labs, Dachshunds, Golden Retrievers, Rottweilers, Pugs, Basset Hounds, Beagles, Bulldogs and Boxers.
Are Jujube dates safe for dogs?
In moderation, they certainly are and can be a nice treat for them to enjoy! If your dog is on any medication, check with your vet first as there may be potential interactions.
Are there any side effects?
Fortunately, there are no major side effects of Jujube dates. They do however contain sugar and although the amount is not high, canine biology is not well adapted to have a lot of sugar and excess consumption may lead to problems.
Convinced about the benefit of Jujubes? Why not try RUNNING WILD, our highly recommended treat which combines the magical properties of Jujubes with Emu, a low fat, high-quality protein that is bound to keep your dogs RUNNING back for more.
Shop Running Wild now. Or check out how you can #TreatThemRight at the Bugsy store.