BUGSY’S Social Responsibility
Our aim is to teach our vision for a negative footprint on the planet in making a positive difference, through our products, and services.
Our success is based on the success of our customers and our communities joining us on this mission. Restoring the planet – where ever we can.
Customer Recycling Programs
We looked holistically at the lifecycle of our products and their packaging. We are constantly searching for the way that makes a difference and our war on waste in landfill. Because it is simple – if we don’t, we have plastic in the waterways, killing wildlife, suffocating animals, filling our land with plastic that takes 100+ years to break down if it does. You can make a difference by recycling our packaging.
Reducing our Environmental Impact
As Australia’s most unique Pet Supplies online store and supplier of quality holistic pet food, we decided to have solutions for the community as is our duty to our business responsibly and sustainably.
We look holistically at how we operate along the supply chain and take a lifecycle approach to understand our products and their packaging as having a potential environmental impact.
With products sold all over the world, we know that we have a part to play. We monitor our energy to ensure our business is running effectively. We also have programs to roll out energy efficiency such as LED lighting, replacement of inefficient heating and air conditioning units as well as innovation as they become available.
In addition to our customer recycle program Bugsy’s has been focused on reducing waste to landfill. All our packaging is recycled as we sell to customers and as we buy in products, we make sure our waste is recycled. Currently recycled to over 90 per cent of our operational waste.
Bugsy Pet Supplies has maintained a focus on the sustainable sourcing of the human grade meats and herbs. Our 70gm & 100gm lined brown paper bags are recyclable with the zip lock at that top recycled into the plastic collection of your domestic bins.
Our NEW and IMPROVED Certified Biodegradable polyester for a compostable film containing 45% of renewable resources. It is basically a compound of biodegradable polymer to create a high strength translucent structure which seals out moisture and bacteria. These are the 300gm bag and they can be put into your compost pile! (less the zip lock at the top which goes into the plastic recycle bin).
The beauty of this certified compostable packaging is that it can be compostable by micro-organisms and the process of break down relies on the climate, soil, and populations of the micro-organisms.
Trade Network and preference paper products derived from 100 per cent recycled content or having Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification. This ensures we minimise the use of paper products sourced from unsustainable forest practices. Choosing FSC-certification ensures the environmental needs in forest management are balanced to ensure sustainable growth for future generations. All deliveries made through transactions on our website are packed in boxes made from 100% recycled content where we can.
Bugsy’s Pet Supplies’ vision is to make a positive difference by supporting the responsible sourcing of our products, packaging and services as the underpinnings of the ways we work within the business.
Responsible Sourcing focuses on three main issues which are outlined in the Responsible Sourcing Charter:
- Sourcing food ingredients responsibly and sustainably
- Sourcing goods and services ethically
- Reducing environmental impact.
Sourcing food ingredients responsibly and sustainably
Bugsy’s Pet Supplies Ethical Sourcing and Policy outlines the commitment to ensure that goods and services are sourced in a responsible manner while working with suppliers to improve their social and environmental practices.
Sourcing Goods and Services ethically
Suppliers are assessed for risk according to the management of ethical and responsible sourcing risks and are required to demonstrate compliance to Bugsy’s Ethical Sourcing Policy.
Reducing Environmental Impact
Bugsy’s Pet Supplies is committed to reducing our environmental impact. The Sustainable Packaging Policy set the expectation for the supplier to Bugsy to support the use and supply of sustainable packaging for all our purchases.
Bugsy’s Pet Supplies makes the biodegradable packaging to assist our customers to recycle or compost our packing for less environmental degradation and protection of rights of communities and workers in the supply chain. We make sure we are not using products that have come from places of deforestation, loss of biodiversity, and any other activity that leaves a mark on the plant. If we can change it we will.
To read more on our SUSTAINABILITY PROGRAM Click it.
Bugsy’s Responsible Sourcing Policies
ETHICAL SOURCING POLICY Bugsy’s Pet Supplies Ethical Sourcing Policy is built on the principles of the Ethical Trading Initiative and International Labour Organisation (ILO) conventions, to ensure there is a commitment that goods and services are sourced in a responsible manner while working with suppliers to improve their social and environmental practices.
If suppliers are unable to demonstrate a commitment to comply with the Bugsy’s Pet Supplies Ethical Sourcing Policy (ESP), Bugsy’s reserves the right to terminate the Trading Agreement. Where reasonably practicable, they should extend the principles of this Code through their supply chain.
1.1 Business integrity
- Suppliers must engage ethically in all dealings and provide transparent documentation and records.
- No Bribes, favours, benefits or other similar unlawful or improper payments in cash or in kind.
- No child or bonded, involuntary or illegal labour employed anywhere through the supply chain. No harsh treatments, prejudiced or discriminatory treatments to any staff or employees
1.2 Minimum Requirements
- All suppliers must fully comply with all local laws and regulations regarding labour, health, safety, and the environment. Suppliers must also fully comply with the legal requirements of the countries in which they operate, in addition to all elements of this Ethical Sourcing Policy.
2.0 Wages and benefits are paid as per legal requirements.
- Wages and benefits paid for a standard working week must meet as a minimum national or industry standards, whichever is the higher. In any event, wages should always be enough to meet basic needs and to provide some discretionary income.
- All workers must be provided with written and understandable information about their employment conditions in respect to wages, before they enter employment, and about the particulars of their wages for the pay period concerned each time that is paid.
- Health and safety training must be provided regularly to existing, reassigned and new workers. The training records must be maintained accurately.
- Personal protective equipment must be supplied, the workers supervised, and workers trained in its use.
- Safeguards on machinery must meet or exceed local laws.
- Accommodation, if provided, must be clean, safe and meets workers’ basic needs.
- Access to clean toilet facilities, potable water, and sanitary facilities for food storage, where applicable, must be provided.
2.01 No discrimination is practised.
- There is no discrimination in hiring, compensation, access to training, promotion, termination, or retirement based on race, caste, national origin, religion, age, disability, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, union membership or political affiliation.
- Sexual abuse or harassment must be prohibited.
- Pregnant workers must not be dismissed.
- Pregnancy testing of employees/potential recruits is not allowed.
2.02 Sustainable business practice
- Suppliers are required to assess the environmental impact of the business.
- Aim to do responsible business without causing significant environmental harm.
- Have clear environmental performance targets.
2.03 Respect land rights of communities
- Conduct due diligence and tracing to ensure that sites are not a party to land encroachment.
2.04 No Animal Testing
- We do not conduct or commission any animal tests on ingredients, formulations or finished products and will not do so in future.
2. Anti-bribery. The Supplier must:
- at all times comply with all applicable laws, statutes, regulations and codes relating to antibribery and improper payments including but not limited to the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Australia), the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act 1977 (United States), and the Bribery Act 2010 (United Kingdom) (“Relevant Requirements”).
3. Environmental Standards.
- The Supplier shall, as a minimum, comply with all applicable laws and regulations relating to the environmental impact of their business.
- Environmental Permits and Reporting - all required environmental Effective controls of waste in respect of ground, air and water pollution shall be adopted.
- Hazardous Substances - chemical and other materials posing a hazard if released to the environment are to be identified and managed to ensure their safe handling, movement, storage, use, recycling or reuse and disposal.
- Packaging and paper – unnecessary use of materials shall be avoided, and recycled materials shall be used wherever appropriate.
- Conservation – processes and activities shall be monitored and modified as necessary to ensure the conservation of scarce resources, including water, flora and fauna and productive land.
- Energy use – all production and delivery processes shall be based on maximising efficient energy use and minimising harmful emissions.
- Product Content Restrictions – the Supplier shall adhere to all applicable laws, regulations and customer requirements regarding prohibition or restriction of specific substances, including labelling for recycling and disposal.
- Product selection – the Supplier shall work with and aid Bugsy’s Pet Supplies in selecting products which are environmentally beneficial.
4.Sustainable Packaging Policy.
- Bugsy’s Pet Supplies is committed to reducing our environmental impact. Bugsy’s Pet Supplies commits to achieve sustainable packaging outcomes and to work collaboratively with other organisations to further this goal. The Sustainable Packaging Policy sets the expectations for suppliers to Bugsy’s Pet Supplies to support the use and supply of sustainable packaging for all products sold at Bugsy’s Pet Supplies. Sustainable Packaging should reduce environmental impact, use resources efficiently and minimise landfill, whilst ensuring packaging maintains product quality and safety.
- The Sustainable Packaging Guidelines (SPG) from APCO define Sustainable Packaging as fit-for-purpose, resource-efficient, made from low-impact materials, and reusable or recyclable at the end of its useful life.
- Bugsy’s Pet Supplies is committed to applying the SPGs to all new packaging and reviewing existing packaging to support the following: • Minimising the amount (size, weight, thickness) of material used for packaging • Maximising the use of recycled materials • Maximising the use of renewable/recyclable materials • Promoting the use of 100% recycled material certified material for wood fibre based packaging • Promoting the use of PET, PP, HDPE, LDPE for plastic components for recycling.
As one of Australia's leading online supplier of Pet Food products with solutions to the lifecycle approach of our products’ environmental impact. We offer eco-friendly sustainable products that help you make an environmentally conscious decision.